So I just got back from my reunion on my dads side and if you didn't already know they are polgamists. Before I knew of this along time ago I didn't know what they were and how they preached, but now I know a bit more and I am still confused. I got attacked in a way from my grandma. She is under the impression that the world is coming to an end and it is her duty to warn her family. The way I look at it is not everything has come to pass yet so there is no need for me to worry right now. Yes I need to be prepared and get a better food storage but that wasn't ever coming from her, but our prophet timeless times. She speaks of the mark of the beast and how I need to choose between them possiblely taking my kids and killing them if I follow the church or to take the mark of the beast. I told her that the Lord would not let my children be killed as long as I live righteously. It is like the story of Abraham and his son, just because he was willing to do as the Lord instructed no harm came upon his son. It is a test, still it seems she does not understand. My aunt ran and got me help because at this point I am crying because of the scene and because it was in front of the cousins I would never want to offend. SO my other aunt came down and yelled at her.:) Then my aunt said that they believe the things they do because God doesn't change, so if polygamy was once allowed on the earth how can he take it away? So they follow Joseph Smith's teachings. My dad has a lot to say about this, which to me makes sense. He says if they are following his teachings how come they have no temples? how come they don't drink wine for the sacrament? The list can go on, and on. I like that this is all coming out though because my dad would never talk about it and now we get a btter in sight to things. I hopw that the arguement that happened was for good for those few cousins who were there. I wish they could see the world out there and feel the spirit and have the opportunity to one day go to the Temple. My mom says she never wanted this to happen to any of us, but in all reality we are the ones they would need to turn to if they needed help to leave. So to me that is not an option, it is my responsibilty to leave that door open for whoever needs it, just as Christ would do for anyone. I was also surprised at how open my dad was to our family there. He didn't hide his anger or his emotions at the "attack" that had happened when they were gone. He had told them along time ago to leave his kids and family out of what they believe or we were gone. Everyone who had heard about this incident was very upset at grandma and felt bad for me. So even though we are somewhat divided my whole family was behind me and defending me. At the end of day no ones feelings were offended or hurt which I am glad because I said things that could hit home for most. I will continue to go and to be an example of Christ and hopefully more of my family will come back to Christ and to have that testimony of the church that they once had before.
The rest of the week was fabulous and I will always appreciate my dad for all he has done for my family and for always protecting us and for teaching us to make good decisions and to not judge others. He is an awesome dad and one of my best friends!
Sorry I forgot to take pictures, but it would just be a BUNCH of people you don't know (as well as me for some:))
3 comments:
good for you for standing up for "truth and righteousness". I just got put into young womens, and the yw theme is a good reminder, and this story totally fits in with that! it makes me sad when people don't understand (or want to understand) the gospel. they don't know what they are giving up. anyway, good job!!
Tec, I am so proud of you. I think you have really grown into this amazing, understanding person who lets everyone just be who they are, even if they practice and believe in something as strange as polygamy. I am proud of you for standing up for yourself and for not becoming just like them and trying desperately to preach your own beliefs, but rather letting them know how you feel and what you believe and leaving it up to them to decide.
I have a dear friend who is married to a polygamist. ALthough he only has her as a wife, she feels bad because he will never be able to progress with his beliefs and she struggles with that because she knows whats right and true. The thing I have to remind her is relying in the spirit. Never forgot those testimony mtgs at Girls Camp or the day you got married. Those feelings are true and good. confusion is a tool that Satan likes to use!
Post a Comment